This is a local blog, for local people

You are here - www.itsnotpretty.com
Talk to me - inchy@REMOVETHISBITitsnotpretty.com

Meet my inner child - www.freewebs.com/restlessnatives

Monday, February 18, 2008

Norway. Gateway to the Arctic Circle!


I've just returned home from four days in Oslo, capital city of Norway, so this post will cover my trip.
Lets start at the beginning:

Prestwick International Airport is a fucking toilet! You heard me, a toilet. A tip. A mess. A disgrace (tell me when to stop).
Apparently the airport's New Zealand-based owners recently completed a £3 million 'major refurbishment' which, to my eyes at least, consisted of nothing more than painting everywhere you look with the worlds worst slogan in the worlds worst paint scheme.

Prestwick Airport - Pure Dead Brilliant! - in pink and purple. I fucking despair.

Anyway, Norway.
Norway is obviously a Scandinavian country, and as such has extremely brutal winters. It never climbed close to freezing during the time that we were there, but this wasn't a problem as I really prefer it too cold than too hot.
Nothing happens in a hurry in Norway. The speed limit on the motorway is 80KPH (that's 49.7079MPH, yankee boy!) not to prevent accidents, but because it's more frugal, but this wasn't a problem as I wasn't driving anywhere anyway.
It's a well known fact that Norway is one of the most expensive countries in the world, and Oslo itself tops the BBC's list of '10 most expensive cities in the world', and this was a HUGE problem, as I'm not Bill gates!
I can't stress enough just how unbelievably, stupendously, staggeringly, ridiculously, expensive it is in Oslo! I paid £8.60 for a single pint of lager! Bear in mind that for 40p more I could get a CASE of Miller from my local Asda! We struggled to have an evening meal for less than £70, and that's from some of the more affordable establishments! I dunno how much a Mazda 2 is in the UK, but in Norway it edges just under the equivalent of £20,000! A bag of crisps? £4.40!

Suffice to say that it's a very nice city. It's people a warm and welcoming, and they all, even the homeless beggars, speak better English than ANY scouser, but I don't really think I'll be in a great rush to return. Not just because of the lotto-winner prices, but because actually not a lot happens there. Been there, done that, couldn't afford the t-shirt.


The £8.60 pint in all it's glory.

No comments: