This is a local blog, for local people

You are here - www.itsnotpretty.com
Talk to me - inchy@REMOVETHISBITitsnotpretty.com

Meet my inner child - www.freewebs.com/restlessnatives

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Charlie Wilson's War


. . . is probably the only film I've seen Tom Hanks in that I've enjoyed. The true story of Texas Congressman "Good Time Charlie" Wilson who, in the early 1980's, conspired with a rogue CIA agent to fund the Afghan Mujahadeen in their war against the Soviet armed forces. The fact that this film is a true story made it even better and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tom Hanks gives a typically understated performance, but Julia Roberts, who many consider to be a top flight actress, just didn't do it for me and felt out of place in her role. Philip Seymour Hoffman on the other hand, who plays Gust Avrakotos, the CIA agent, completely steals the show with a fantastic performance.

8/10.

No comments: