This is a local blog, for local people

You are here - www.itsnotpretty.com
Talk to me - inchy@REMOVETHISBITitsnotpretty.com

Meet my inner child - www.freewebs.com/restlessnatives

Monday, March 10, 2008

"You Had To Be There"

. . . is the motto that Dara O'Briain lives by. He explains this right at the start of his show, no two of which are exactly the same, and given that at least 50% of his act is improvisation, fuelled by his audience, I'd have to agree. I was lucky enough to see him at the Edinburgh Playhouse last night at the 4th show in the UK leg of his current sell-out tour.
As a comedian, Dara has all the bases covered. He's Irish, so he instantly sounds a bit funny. He's a bit fat and bald, so he instantly looks a bit funny. Then he opens his mouth, and 2 hours and 20 minutes of some of the best, most diverse, most intelligent, comedy I've ever heard fires at you, AK47 style. No heckle can faze this likeable man, indeed, audience participation is an intrinsic part of his show. A show that includes hotels, gas fitters, underwear, neighbourhood watch ninjas, you name it, it's all in there. A comedian right at the top of his game.

I've managed, so far, to see three fifths of the regular Mock The Week panel doing what they do best. Frankie Boyle, Russell Howard, and now the King, Dara O'Briain.
Funniest man in Britain?

Without question.
10/10

2 comments:

Steve said...

For all round sharpness I still maintain that Frankie Boyle is the true king of comedy... much as I like Dara he's a bit too "wandering" for me...

Inchy said...

Frankie likes to shock, whereas Dara takes you on a journey. Both styles are valid and make me laugh, but this Friday I'm going to see a man who takes humour to an entirely different level. A level SO low, that you'd need a basement to see him. That man is Jim Jefferies.