This is a local blog, for local people

You are here - www.itsnotpretty.com
Talk to me - inchy@REMOVETHISBITitsnotpretty.com

Meet my inner child - www.freewebs.com/restlessnatives

Saturday, October 18, 2008

With Mirth And Laughter Let Old Wrinkles Come

I'm now in my 'late thirties'.

That actually sounds worse than saying "It's my 38th birthday today", but given that life expectancy here in the heart disease capital of the world is 69.1, then at least I should only have to worry about how to finance the next 31.1 years.

The birthday festivities kicked off last night when myself and The Demon made the 10 minute walk to meet Fat Albert & Tall Dawn and The Heid & Natalie Cousteau for an excellent meal at Ye Olde Falkirk Towne's newest, and indeed only, contemporary Indian restaurant, D'Yoga.

I must admit that I'd never heard of anything on the menu, but thanks to some inside info from an Indian technician who had visited my work last week I had a rough idea what I was about to eat.
I started with Patta Sheekh Kebab:
"Fine lamb mince seasoned with Indian spices, rolled with chopped fresh coriander and cooked in a charcoal tandoor"
This was light and very tasty and just enough to set me up for my main course.
Tandoori Murg with spicy Kadai sauce, which is colourfully described in the menu as:
"The king of kebabs made from whole chicken marinated in yoghurt, ginger, garlic, chilli and chef’s special tandoori masala and chargrilled"
This was all topped off with Gulab Jamun with ice cream:
"Small dumplings made from thickened milk, deep fried and soaked in cardamom flavoured sugar syrup and served warm"
This was easily the finest Indian meal I've had the pleasure of getting my gob round, and a good time was had by all. It was also a small reminder of how lucky I am. Wonderful food, a few drinks and the company of damn good friends.

I think I'm going to enjoy my late thirties.
Bring on the Big 4-0.

7 comments:

Steve said...

A fine curry is a great way to see in any birthday - have a great day, Inchy. I'll be hitting the big 4-0 afore ye next year... I'll let you know how it is for me!

Sky Clearbrook said...

Many happy returns, young man!

I'm with Steve on the curry front. Nothing like it. I've developed a right taste for lamb curries - especially Jaipuri or Pathia. It's only half nine and now I'm starving.

Anyway, I digress. Hope the rest of your day is as enjoyable.

Inchy said...

Thanks gents, I'll save some pakora for you both.

Löst Jimmy said...

Happy Birthday Inchy

Have a good rest of the day

Inchy said...

Cheers Jim

DeeDee said...

Happy Birthday. It's always the best way to celebrate one, good food good company. Seems like a good omen to me.

Inchy said...

Thanks Eostre.
The world's a bit fucked up at the moment, so let's hope so.