This is a local blog, for local people

You are here - www.itsnotpretty.com
Talk to me - inchy@REMOVETHISBITitsnotpretty.com

Meet my inner child - www.freewebs.com/restlessnatives

Monday, November 16, 2009

The Darling Buds of May

Damn you James May!
And damn this flu that has kept me off work since last Friday!
Swine, bird or council flu, I don't really care which, it's painful, annoying and expensive.

Expensive?

Well sort of, let me explain.
Thanks to the wonder that is the BBC's iPlayer, I have today watched 3 hours of James May's Toy Stories, a series where the bloke's bloke May relives his childhood fantasies involving, so far, Meccano, Plasticine and my own favourite, Airfix.

I thoroughly enjoyed Mr May's attempts to get a class of 13 year olds to build a full size "Airfix" kit of a Spitfire, probably because I loved Airfix kits myself when I was a nipper.
As I sat watching these modern iChildren struggle to grasp the concept of a model kit that you didn't download, I found myself reminiscing about days gone by where I would have mock battles using Lancaster bombers with glued solid propellers pursued by the dreaded Messershmitt Bf 109.

This was why I found myself in the "Craft 'N' Hobby" shop this afternoon after I'd been to the doctors, and why it made perfect sense to hand over £28 for a 1/48th scale model of a BAC TSR-2, one of the most beautiful aircraft of all time (damn you, Labour!).

I'm going to be stuck indoors until at least Friday, so let the build commence!

5 comments:

Steve said...

As I die hard Lego fan (with a £10,000 collection to his name) I salute you on the journey you are about to undertake.

P.S. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Inchy said...

I take it you'll be looking forward to the Lego house episode then Steve?

Steve said...

Very much indeed... though it doesn't seem to be very forthcoming. The show is off now until Christmas. Bloody BBC scheduling...!

Misssy M said...

Aw, bless you. Watch you don't glue that glass of Lucozade to your hand.

Löst Jimmy said...

How's the model progressing?
How about a photo of the finished article?
Get well soon